Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Scandinavia, Tico Tico, Cipher Notation

Colin O'Donohoe
Pangea

What's New:
Well, first, I hope that everyone had a great holiday and stayed away from too much wine!I was able to spend some time composing and have finished a few new pieces. One of them will be appearing on a new album of mine that should be out in '09. The album is about the Buddhist Sutra's. It will be my first "electronica" album. We'll see how it goes. I'm pretty excited about it. I've found using a computer as my palette of instruments to be exciting. It will never replace people...but, it is a lot of fun, and a great artistic outlet. I'm sure that once you get a chance to hear some of the things I'm creating you will enjoy it.I'll even send out a free mp3 of a track from the album if you join my email list. You can do so by visiting my website, or emailing me.
Check http://www.donohoemusic.com/ for my email or to add yourself to the list.

Regions/styles I'm looking for:ScandinaviaI heard the song "Finlandia" on Mike Moore's new movie and realized something: I know next to nothing about the traditional and folk music from this area! Are you from Scandinavia? Do you know about the music? Play it? if so, please write in and let me know what songs I should be listening to, what are your native instruments, who are some of the greatest musicians in this region? Any info is always appreciated! Thank you :)

Region/Topic that I can share: Cipher NotationPeople have asked me about the "Chinese" notation from my days with New Moon Orchestra as the conductor. This notation isn't only attributed to the Chinese but is found in several other countries as well.What this notation is, is the writing of numbers instead of notes. The numbers are the scale degree's which range from 1-7. There are dots that appear above or below the note to tell you whether the note is high or low. There is a bit more to it, but that is the basic info.

Songs that I adore: Tico TicoI love playing this song. This is a happy, fun, bright piece of music. if you are in a bad mood you should listen to this. It is near impossible to listen to this song and not smile. Playing it is even better. If you are an instrumentalist, get a copy of this music and play it. Add it to your repertoire, you will not regret it!As always, thanks for reading! If you ever want to contact me you can always visit http://www.donohoemusic.com/.

No comments: