Monday, January 12, 2009

Pangean Orchestra
Colin O’Donohoe
www.donohoemusic.com

I want to thank a few places that have featured me in their podcasts/websites:
Bohemio Radio
http://www.live365.com/stations/ews

Robkast Radio
http://blog.robkast.nl/


What’s New: A few weeks ago in a blog I asked about music from Afghanistan and I was fortunate enough to get a few leads. Here is one musician that I was introduced to through the splendor of youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR8yUmzZPDM
I strongly recommend taking a listen, it is prety cool stuff.
I’ve been in Paris Texas now for about a week. I’ve taken in one of their most famous cites the Eiffel Tower (with cowboy hat that is :) I was inspired while here to write a country song. Who knows, maybe I’ll record it and be able to share it with “y’all”

I’m also moving ahead as best I can with my plans to form the worlds first truly world orchestra with instruments from as many countries/continents as possible (the Antarticans have a wonderful icicle flute) As more information becomes solid I will definitely share it with ... “y’all”

Region I’m looking for this week: Biwa and other gagaku music. The Biwa is such an incredibly cool instrument. It is like the Chinese Pipa except that the musician plays the strings with a hair comb. Does anyone know a Biwa player? Anyone play it? I’d LOVE to talk to a musician of this instrument!

Region/Topic I can share: Here is a link to a Biwa video on youtube for anyone curious about what the instrument it: (just ignore the intro, it is a good video) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnIQl5CZRr8


Songs that I adore:
Miles Davis: (Album) Kind of Blue - (Song) Blue in Green
I’m starting to forget the pieces that I’ve listed here. One song that I really love is Blue in Green. There is a radio station in Phoenix AZ called KjZZ which plays this album every night. I think they should just call themselves the “Kind of Blue” station. I know that this album is overplayed, but it still has amazing recordings on it.
My favorite track on the album is Blue in Green. The entrance of the trumpet by Miles Davis is amazing. His musicianship on this track is just heartbreaking and incredible. There really aren’t words for when a musician hits this level of mastery on his/her instrument. He transcends being a person playing an instrument and allows it to be the sound system of his soul.
I strongly recommend taking a listen to this song if you haven’t already heard it. If you have, listen again, and if you’re in Phoenix, just turn on KJZZ and I bet it is playing right now!
PS- I apologize for the sentence structure of that last sentence.
Have a great week!
Colin

1 comment:

Gilliam Arts said...

Your passion for world music is awesome. I feel like I'm on an exploration with you, reading about these instruments I've never heard of.